|Parks Department History|
1940 - The citizens of Thompson, by majority vote, established the first park district in Geauga County. Three Park Commissioners were appointed.
1941 - The Park Commission acquired 13 acres as the initial property of the Park District.
1942 - The pavilion, as it stands today (2000), was erected.
1950 - 20 acres were purchased from the Crandall family. This made 33 acres, South of Thompson Road, above and below the ledges.
1980 - 7 acres North of Thompson Road were purchased from the School Board, bringing the total acreage to 40.
1989 - Mr. Alex Zebehazy donated funds of approximately $100,000 to build the present Ledge Park Building.
1992 - 14 acres, North of the property purchased from the School Board, were donated by John and Fred Green. The Park District, at this point in time, consisted of 54 acres.
1997 - Richard and Beverly Znidarsic donated $10,000 towards the purchase of 12 acres joining the property donated by the Greens. This brought the total acreage of the park to today's 66 acres.
1999 - Presently there is NO Township Levy supporting the Park District. Approximately $7,500 per year is obtained from County funds to maintain the park. $1,200 dollars per year is received from the Township Trustees for the use of the Park Building for twice monthly and special meetings.